Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Response to Post 09-07-11

How do Davies and Levitin define music? How does Davies, on this basis, respond to the challenge of the Cage piece 4'33"? What do you think Levitin might say about it?

I don't believe that either Davies or Levitin would include the composition in the category of music. They both seem to believe that music is an intentional combination of sounds and pitches. The piece is built on the ambient sounds that occur throughout the specified time.

Davies states that 4'33" is more an act of theater than a musical composition.

If I were to jump out of my seat and shout "Free Bird!" during a Backstreet Boys reunion concert, would it make me a Backstreet Boy? Simply, no. 4'33" is an excellent way to get people to observe the beauty of their surroundings, however, it is not a musical piece by the standards of Davies and Levitin.

I argue, however, that if at least one individual truly believes something to be music, then it becomes music.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your belief that neither Davies or Levitin would consider the piece, 4'33", a musical piece because there are no structured sounds.

    I also agree with your final argument that music is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own definition of music; some people may find the structured silence of 4'33" "music to their ears."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with your belief that Davies nor Levitin would include "4'33" as a composition in the category of music, because it is evident that Davies and Levitin believe that structural music is music. Therefore to them "4'33" was indeed theater work not music.

    I also agree with your second statement that everyone is entitled to their definition to music. There are so many different people with so many opinions. I feel as though some people don't consider a certain piece of work music and therefore try to imply that it is in fact not music. However a person with a different opinion may consider that piece music. I feel as though you can not tell someone what music is. To each his own I always say.

    ReplyDelete