As an analytical person, I had difficulty figuring out what Schopenhauer was trying to say about reality. This is what I think he is trying to say. He begins chapter 1 with the statement, “The world is my representation.” This philosopher, I believe, is saying that the world is how I see it through my senses, and perceive it or represent it in my mind. My reality is how I individually perceive and interpret it to be. Someone else may perceive a different reality because of the way they interpret the world.
I also think that Schopenhauer is trying to say that each form is made up of two parts: the object, such as our bodies that take up time and space, and the subject is the abstract part inside us (i.e.: our soul?). One part cannot exist without the other.
The final point in our reading deals with will. Changes in objects (actions of the body) are because of will (i.e.: I move my arm because I will it to do so). No one truly understands my will except me. Other people just perceive what I show of my will though my actions. They can not know my actual will. Unconscious stimuli movement is also because of will, such as heart beat and sweating. If a plant grows, it’s the will of the plant to grow and if the sun shines, it’s the will of the sun to shine. Thus, all objects, organic and inorganic, have will.
No comments:
Post a Comment