Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Response to 9-21 Prompt

I don't know if I have interpreted this right, but I believe Schopenhauer thinks the following about what is truly considered art. Schopenhauer distinguishes between ideas and concepts. True art is a newly discovered idea while a concept is a regurgitation of what already exists (i.e.: a musician copying the structure and style of a Beatles song). When something comes from a concept, it only lasts for that particular generation and then dies. Art is discovered by a genius and is a totally new idea; it becomes a part of the world forever (maybe Mozart?). Art is special since it lives on forever. Schopenhauer also point outs that only a few people that have attained a certain level of knowledge understand true art. Some pretend they do, while others put down true art because they don't want to feel inferior to those that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment