There are a few things with in this chapter that I found interesting. One of the things that really caught my attention when reading this chapter was on page 257. The sentence that caught my attention was "For this reason the effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only to the shadow, by music of the essence." Then later on, on page 264 one of the paragraphs mention something like music "reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain."
In a way, I agree with both of those things, but a part of me just can't fully agree. When people are sad, most people tend to listen to sad music. So is that music really remote from the pain of reality? I understand what Schopenhauer was getting at, but I'm not sure if music truly "reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain." I would think one would have had to have felt that, to create music that speaks to that part of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment