"How is it that rhythms and melodies, although only sound, resemble states of the soul?" -Aristotle
"Hence it has always been said that music is the language of feeling and of passion." Schopenhauer
"But we must never forget when referring to all these analogies I have brought forward, that music has no direct relation to them, but only an indirect one; for it never expresses the phenomenon, but only the inner nature, the in-itself, of every phenomenon, the will itself." ... Music, a will in itself, represents a separate will in itself in a language of tonic structure. I love Schopenhauer's analysis of music, however it's esteem over other art forms as a pure representation of emotion I feel is rather ignorant, or perhaps lacking in full perspective. Of course, this is speaking from the perspective of an individual formally/formerly raised in a culture devoted to visual stimulation..
No comments:
Post a Comment