Sunday, September 25, 2011

2-26-11

I was very interested in the analogies Schopenhauer made between music and nature. It was something new to me and unique. For example, he said the higher notes related to the animal world and were therefore more rapid than the lower notes but they did not have as much of a present progress. Though I found this connection to nature curious, there was a lot that stood out to me; many lines that I really enjoyed. I liked how Schopenhauer related the many tones and notes to different events in life, and the keynote representing peace. This was really intriguing to me. He then went on to say there are an infinite number of melodies and therefore infinite number of ways of life. This was one of the lines I really appreciated. Lastly, I think my most favorite line was none other than this “…music expresses in an exceedingly universal language…”(pg 264) I really liked this line because I agree with. All music is different and though the lyrical language may be different it is something that everyone can understand. I think this is one of the reasons music is so important to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment