In books I and II of The Republic by Plato, I find it very odd that he censors what they listen to. I understand that they are the Guardians and that they should, in a sense, be pure. Of course, they only are censored when they are in training. He did this in order for them to feel and act more like the citizens. But, does this mean that ALL citizens were censored, or just the Guardians. It's all very confusing to me.
But, in books VI and VII, the Guardians are no longer censored. I feel like this is a better way for them to connect with the citizens. If they are all treated as equals, even though they are god-like, then they will be more level-headed. I also feel as if he's a bit hypocritical at first. By saying they aren't allowed to do certain things and listen to certain types of music, he should enforce that in the later books. Instead, he takes everything he says back and lets them listen to the same music as everyone else. The whole thing is just very confusing.
No comments:
Post a Comment