While I enjoyed this chapter I would have to disagree with Schopenhauer on some things regarding his view of music. On page 448 he says that music comes before all arts. The way I see it while music is important to all of us and is known as the universal connector if a work of art in any form is expressing an feeling why should anyone place an order of importance on expression.
Another was his view of lyrics, they can be meaningful and bring more to a song than he gives the words credit for. In the case of Joanna Newsom while her voice takes some getting used to her music is all about story telling and that's what music for the most part does it tells a story. I feel as if in certain cases the lyrics can be just as important as the music whether or not you can understand them, because the voice is also an instrument.
No comments:
Post a Comment