Sunday, September 25, 2011
Response for 9-26-11
I really enjoy and agree with what Schopenhauer says about music in this chapter: "Music expresses in an exceedingly universal language, in a homogeneous material, that is, in mere tones, and with the greatest distinctness and truth, the inner being, the in-itself, of the world, which we think of under the concept of will, according to its most distinct manifestation." (pg. 264) It's so incredibly true. It reminds me of a performance I was in with my high school jazz band. We were at a state wide competition and we had made it to the night finals for Class C. During the last performance, our energy went through the roof and on our last song (it had a trumpet solo and they did the coolest bit of choreography with them), the feeling that I got was just so amazing. I felt like I was plugged in to something I couldn't describe. We had practiced our set list for months and we had never played the song so well or had so much fun and enjoyment. I think we all were smiling and laughing for a good fifteen minutes after we got off the stage. It was an incredible experience that, looking back, embodies everything that Schopenhauer says at the bottom of page 262 to the top of page 263.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment