Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Response for 9/14/11

Pretty much like everyone else has said, I think Plato feels it good to introduce other forms of music to the guardians in order to better establish their ability to reason, as well as, I assume, make them feel more connected to their environment. It's probably pretty hard to protect a place you feel alienated from.

I also think Plato assumes that if they are raised and trained properly, it doesn't really matter what influences they experience after their training is complete. By adulthood, the mind is supposedly fully developed, and they are most likely set in their own ways. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Although I don't necessarily agree with that, Plato probably assumes it's safe, and removes most of the censorship.

Similarly, like we discussed in class, the guardians would probably be unstable emotionally without having an output for frustrations and sadness. So it's probably a good idea to give them a different outlet than stabbing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment