Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Response 9/28

I think it's interesting how Schopenhauer says that music is the most powerful of all the arts. He makes a big argument about how the text should be written for the music, and not the music for the text, because the music is what gives the true feeling expressed in the words. He does not like when the music is used to tell what is going on in the specific story rather than just being an expression of the will itself. But this is what we talked about last time in class, so maybe I'm not reading the right section?

1 comment:

  1. Your sense that Chap 39 of Vol II just repeats what was said in Chap 52 or Vol I is correct - S is adding some observations that fill in and further extend what he said in Vol I, but the basic position hasn't changed at all.

    ReplyDelete