Saturday, September 24, 2011

Prompt for 9-26

Open reaction to Chap 52 in Vol I of WWR - What about Schopenhauer's philosophy of music interests you?

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting how different Schopenhauer views music as opposed to everything else we've read so far.

    "I have devoted my mind entirely to the impression of music in its many different forms; and then I have returned again to reflection and to the train of my thought expounded in the present work, and have arrived at an explanation of the inner essence of music, and the nature of its imitative relation to the world, necessarily to be presupposed from analogy."

    Right off the bat, he acknowledges music as something more than just noise, or a pattern. He views it as necessary to achieve some sort of synchronicity with the world and with oneself. His views on music also seem to mirror the way we view music today, as something more than just a composition and more than an art form, but as a method of self-exploration.

    ReplyDelete