Friday, October 14, 2011

Response to 10-12-11

Hanslick believes that the proper relation between music and emotion is that music should not represent emotion. He thought that music was plagued with too much of how people felt instead of looking for the true essence of the music itself. Because when we try to impose our own feelings on the music we lose what the piece was truly about: the sound and the instruments themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you say "when we try yo impose our own feelings on music we lose what the piece was truly about..." I think it's easy to lose sight of what music actually is. We get so caught up in the lyrics of a song that we forget it even has instruments to accompany the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, his take on music was extremely technical and not at all about emotion or the feelings we have.I do think it is interesting, though, how he discusses our emotions as reactions to certain combinations of pitches. I think there is truth in this.

    ReplyDelete