Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Response: 10/12/11

Hanslick believes that music should not directly connect to emotions, but connect to the technical aspect of the direct effects music has on our brain. We recognize characteristics of chords whether or not we know and understand their technical uses and functions. Hanslick writes that this universal understanding is what enables our appreciation of absolute music opposed to programmatic music.
In a way, I think Hanslick means to say that programmatic music is far too unnatural to analyze and is simply against our nature. However, I don't understand how he can deny the direct emotional connection that music has on us.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when Hanslick says that we should separate music from emotion. However, 'programmed' has taken over with the invention of technology so I wouldn't say it is unnatural as it is progressing as humans try to relate it to their lives. I believe that Hanslick does not understand that music was created in some forms to be relatable to human emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, when I wrote my prompt I said very similar things in which you had said. Hanslick also indicated that ideas can be represented by the means of music but not occur as feeling. However feelings do not portray to representing music.

    ReplyDelete