Nieztszche's distinction between Appolinian and Dionysian didn't help me to understand music any better. Yes, it got my brain thinking aobut the topic, but it didn't expand any of the knowledge that I already had. In fact, it was rather confusing. I don't really know why he chose to use Apollo as a key guard, other than him being the god of music. I understand why Dionysis was used to describe the "intoxicating" side, but using Apollo for music was just too general.
Most of the music I listen to is Dionysian. It's easy to get lost in a song and its words. I listen to the lyrics, but I try not to think about the story behind it. Maybe the artist was going through a breakup, or another band member was. I like the complexity of the songs without having to interpret what they mean.
I think that's right - most of our music today is indeed Dionysian (N in his later preface to BT says he can't imagine what he meant by Dionysian music, but I think by now it's clear that it's rock).
ReplyDelete