Monday, October 31, 2011

Response 10/31

Nietzsche makes many comments about the music of Bizet which could help describe his definition of "good music". The first quote I found was this: "This music seems perfect to me. It approaches lightly, supplely, politely. It is pleasant, it does not sweat." p.157. This comment is mostly in contrast to what he says about Wagner's music, and how the music "sweats". I think what Nietzsche means is that the music does not work too hard, it just is.

The next: "It seems to me I experience its genesis... And oddly, deep down I don't think of it, or don't know how much I think about it." pgs 157-158. I think what he is saying here is that the music is easy to get lost in, and to experience, and that this is what makes it good music. Good music does not make him THINK about it, but EXPERIENCE it.

The last quote: "Whatever is good makes me fertile," p. 158. I think what Nietzsche means by this quote is that he can get something out of good music. He can learn from good music, and it can help him grow as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment