Wednesday, October 19, 2011

10/19/2011

I found the distinction Nietzsche made between the two very useful. In a way it has helped me realize that there should be both structure and non-structure in music, for without one, the other would mean less (if anything at all). And going even more musically in depth between the distinction of the two, I have realized that there should also be a good mixture of consonance and dissonance, or resolving melodic lines along with non-resolving melodic lines.

Without the Dionysian, more abstract, personal, and more emotional side of music or art, there would be no meaning or emotion behind any of the structure of the Apollinian side of music, leaving empty or even formulated words and melodies. But without the structure and concreteness of Apollinian art, there would be no structure and ultimately no manifestation of the emotions or thoughts and abstracts of the Dionysian art. Without a structure to follow it would be impossible to learn and grasp the emotions that exist.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought that without Dionysian music there can be no Apollinian music I think that's a really interesting way to look at how important they both are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. You made me sit down and think about that once again. Touche

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a drastically different interpretation than my own, but with these ideas assumed I absolutely agree. The greatest heights in music are not reached by simply climbing to them, but through immense contrast.

    ReplyDelete