Wednesday, October 19, 2011

response to 10/19

Though I find Nietzsche kind of confusing and hard to understand, I do think that his theory distinguishing between the Apollinian and Dionysian has got me thinking more when listening to music.

Both he and Schopenhauer have a similar idea that music, (the Dionysian), reflect the will-those raw impulses, emotions, and desires. Before taking this class, I knew that music could have an emotional effect, but I never really thought about why. I know that when I listen to music now, I consciously think of how it is making me feel at the time and now say to myself, "so this is what they mean when the emotions I'm feeling reflect my will."

I also know that when looking at a piece of art or sculpture or read a poem (Apollinian), I don't have the same strong raw emotions – I guess this is because I have to consciously visually look at it, interpret what it represents (representation), and then come to my own perceived conclusion. Music is more of an instinctive response – it goes directly to the soul. Like Nietzsche says, most humans instinctively move and instinctively feel the music – they have to consciously stop the movement if at a formal concert. So I guess I could say that even though I don't understand it all, Nietzsche has been helpful in helping me think about music and why it affects me the way it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment