Sunday, October 16, 2011

response to 10-17

The Apollinian deals in dreams – the illusion and image of the ideal god or hero. The Apollinian art principle is represented by sculpture (the art of creating an ideal image). The Dionysian deals in impulses, emotions, or as Nietzsche puts it, intoxication (33) – the singing, dancing, drinking, lusting impulses of humans (immorality). The Dionysian art principle is represented by music (music goes directly to the soul instigating these impulses).

These two art principles are obviously in direct contrast to each other and, for the most part, run parallel to each other (the moral superhuman hero vs. the immoral impulsive barbarian). However, when they put these two principles together (Greek heros, such as Odysseus or Oedipus have Dionysian impulses, such as drinking, or incest), the Greek tragedy is made.

I think I have translated what Nietzsche is trying to say correctly. However, I found his writing to be confusing and long winded, repeating himself constantly. Nietzsche even criticizes himself in a forward he wrote many years later, saying the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment