When Nietzsche distinguishes the concept from music, he makes it clear that while representation is used to measure reality, the will, Dionysian, music, is used to dictate its direction. The issue I have with this is that it seems like music is all he can use to make this follow. What about other Dionysian arts? Now that he has separated concept and music (presumably concept from Dionysian as a whole) does this means he wants us to understand the Apollonian as the intangible and Dionysian as the concrete?
I actually do not find this to sway my understanding of music one way or another. I believe that like Schopenhauer, Nietzsche is being swayed by his preference and his genre, and is assuming that only he knows the philosophy behind art. I can agree that the tangible is not the only important aspect of life, but I believe that if the intangible, the tragedy, is so important to understand, it should not necessarily be prioritized over the tangible. I believe Nietzsche's strive to blend the Apollonian and Dionysian has been lost to his stress of the Dionysian.
No comments:
Post a Comment