Wednesday, November 2, 2011
11-2-11
I believe that Nietzsche liked Brahms at first because Wagner and Brahms music of the same time was competing together, and Nietzsche would of liked anyone who may of be against Wagner. However Nietzsche came to the realization that Brahms music was very sad and that Brahms mourns for himself. Nietzsche defines Brahms music as affecting a certain type of man a type of yearning and dissatisfaction. He states Brahms borrows music from a great old or exotic modern styles. He defines him as being the master of imitation. He compares his music to be fitting for a female Wagnerian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that Nietzsche would have liked Brahms to be an antagonist to Wagner - he would have loved someone to challenge Wagner's stature. However, I think Nietzsche was disappointed to find that he couldn't like Brahms's music because he believed it to be a copy of the past - nothing original.
ReplyDelete