Tuesday, November 15, 2011

11/16 Response



Higgins feels music contributes to ethics in three ways, "(1) music's psychophysiological power to influence the listener's outlook, (2) its ability to develop capacities of value to ethical living, and (3) its capacity to serve in metaphroic and symbolic roles that can assist our ethical reflections." (114)

Higgins feels that music allows one to be more self aware and be more harmonious, and this is extremely important to "behave as coordinated ethical agents." (118) To further extend upon this Higgins says that music encourages us to perceive that we can operate harmoniously. "Many cases, too, music demonstrates that such harmonious operation can be satisfying to all of these aspects." (118)

I can see where Higgins is coming from, listening to such a song as Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die by Country Joe McDonald. I can see how it would effect someone ethically especially during the time it came out revolving around the Vietnam War. Hearing the lyrics to this song I feel I'd have to go out and protest against the war for moral reasons, so in my views her thoughts are reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment