I like Meyer's theory the best. I dislike when people, in general, try to put a label on music. While Langer tries to say music should evoke certain emotions, Meyer refuses to put that same label on it. Music makes different people feel different things. This is the arousal theory. It is up to the listener to feel what they do, not for the music to tell them what to feel. It's easy for someone to share a bad memory with a certain song, even if the song is supposed to uplift your spirits.
While Meyer's philosophy is my favroite, I also agree with Langer's. She says that music can symbolize or imitate a person's emotions. Her's is the closest to Meyer's, in that they let the music interperet what the person wants. She doesn't wuite put a label on what it should and should not do.
No comments:
Post a Comment