Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Late response: 11/11

Langer's idea of music being a virtual reality was very interesting because it makes me wonder if music may do almost literally the same thing that engineered auditory illusions do. I actually enjoy the idea that we physicalize music with our own feelings, and that this physicalization will vary each time we hear it, and will always be different from perspective to perspective. The idea that rhythm plays the greatest part is also interesting, and considering today's music (as much as I may not care for it), this holds some serious weight. I would be inclined to believe that rhythm is the only part of song that connects with the listener, but after hearing a song that was recently released by a former classmate and especially because it appeals to a genre I don't typically care for, I'm more inclined to believe that rhythm and melody (or at least timbre if not melody in itself) together are both essential. So if anyone is actually reading this, I would suggest the following song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atEx6ZOX51s

If that link doesn't work, the track is called "Ray Charles" by Chiddy Bang. Just a warning, the lyrics are raunchy and possibly offensive (i.e. parental advisory), but I really suggest it for its rhythmic and melodic elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment