Monday, November 14, 2011
11/14
I personally found Myer's take on music and emotion interesting with the "Arousal Theory." There were specific, physical examples given on how one might react differently to music (the example of the beaten dog over the sound of the violin, possibly making the dog have a permanent fear of the sound of the violin), but I began to wonder about, without a physical memory to rely judgment on, how one hears a certain set of melodies and finds it uninteresting or perceives it differently. I feel there is a strong connection between melody and how a certain arrangement of melodies is able to represent a certain hidden feeling or emotion. There is no certain sound of sadness, but how do some people perceive it the same and others not? Is it because the people who perceive it the same live similar lives? Or is a combination of emotions through out life along with a mixture of other aspects creating a certain over all mood that one finds comforting? (some people prefer Hardcore while others of the same age might prefer disco)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment